Archive for July, 2015

Four arrested for the the rape and sexual abuse of two tourists.

Wednesday, July 29th, 2015

It was reported on 28th July that four persons had been arrested for rape and sexual abuse of two tourists. The four young men were in custody.

The Judicial Police (PJ) of Lisbon announced on Tuesday the arrest of four men, aged between 16 and 23 years for rape and sexual abuse of two English tourists, one of them incapable of resistance. According to PJ, the four detainees, Portuguese and foreign residents from Switzerland, were on holiday in Portugal and met two English women, 20 to 23, who were also on holiday, and the six went out together for two days in bars and clubs in Lisbon.

Last Tuesday, the suspects lured the victims to an apartment where they were staying in Sintra where the offences were committed taking advantage of the drunken state of the victims. The detainees were present at the first judicial interrogation.

PSP Operation to counter Road Fatalities

Wednesday, July 29th, 2015

From 20th to 24th July the Police Public Security (PSP), continuing their objectives to prevent road fatalities undertook Operation “Pela Vida, Trave” in various parts of the country. The operation’s objective was to monitor drivers and take action against those, who through their behaviour jeopardize road safety and put others at risk.

The operation involved 442 enforcement actions, which involved 2,860 police officers and 998 vehicles. The objectives were achieved with the following results:

Totally 21,024 vehicles were inspected 4,860 Notices of administrative offense were issued and there were 272 seizures.

Breath tests were conducted on 4,949 drivers with 70 offenses being identified.

There were 100 arrests.

  • Driving under the influence of alcohol (more than 1.2 G / G): 45 held;
  • Lack of legal authorization to drive: 32 detainees;
  • Other crimes: 23 arrested

Through radar 106,322 vehicles were checked and there were 2,371 verified violations for speeding.

  • Violations Light: 314
  • Serious Violations: 1,840
  • Very Serious Infractions: 217

There were also a total of 3,037 violations broken down as follows:

  • Lack of insurance: 47
  • Lack of inspection: 161
  • Mobile phone use while driving: 331
  • Non-use of the seat belt: 165
  • Disobeying traffic signals: 109
  • Parking in the passages marked for pedestrian crossing: 155
  • Parking on sidewalks and other places for the movement of pedestrians: 329

 

180 people serving sentences at home with electronic monitoring

Monday, July 27th, 2015

Publico newspaper has reported on 24th July that in 2014, there were 180 people serving sentences of imprisonment at home with electronic monitoring, according to the annual report of the probation service, currently included in the Welfare Directorate General and Correctional Services. This type of substitution penalty was introduced in criminal law in 2007 and has been increasingly applied. Last year alone the probation services, responsible for the management of electronic surveillance, received 109 new requests under the so-called “on-call system in the room.”

This option is available for cases in which the judge imposes a term of imprisonment not exceeding one year and may be extended to sentences of less than two years and “are verified at the time of conviction, circumstances of personal or family nature of the convict who advise against deprivation of liberty in prison. ” The law specifies a number of situations such as pregnancy, age less than 21 or greater than 65 or the existence of family responsibilities.

The Deputy Director Welfare of the Directorate General and Correctional Services (DGRSP), Licinio Lima, said that 67 people currently serving prison sentences at home. “The number is too low and this also has to do with the law which allows this possibility to those who are sentenced to less than or equal to one year,” he says. He regrets that there are “a lot of people in prison who have no criminal history, but are arrested for not paying fines or because they have been caught more than once driving without legal authorization.”

The official points out that they “are not inherently criminal, but run the risk of becoming so in prison.” The DGRSP, he said, has a proposal ready for a prison sentence in housing to be extended to individuals with sentences up to two years and with the possibility to attend activities and programs outside the home.

The report, to which the PUBLICO had access, does not specify the types of crimes where this penalty was applied, but the teacher of the Law School of the University of Porto Andre Leite, who is doing his doctorate on this topic, exemplifies some: Road crimes, shoplifting and bodily harm. “The alternatives to imprisonment wish to avoid contact with the prison environment, because since the nineteenth century it is known that this contact is criminógeno” he explains.

Directorate-General for Justice Statistics Policy show that between 2007 and 2013, the prison housing was applied 513 times.

The report of the reintegration services reports that last year, there was an increase of 33% in the use of electronic bracelets to monitor the ban on contacts associated with domestic violence. In 2014, there were 327 applications compared with 245 the previous year. Licinio Lima justifies the increase with the fact that the “Portuguese society is very sensitive to the crime of domestic violence.”The Deputy Director also highlighted that in addition to the 590 prisoners who are currently in jail for crimes in this regard, “about 600 are integrated into psycho-educational programs.”

The document also reveals that, in 2014, 116 young people were on the waiting list to meet an internment in an educational center. The main reason may have been the end of the Educational Center of Santa Clara, in Vila do Conde, which had a capacity of 48 places, which have reduced the total number of vacancies in these centers that seek to reintegrate minors who have committed criminal offenses.

SEF detains foreigner in possession of forged Greek ID

Monday, July 27th, 2015

The Foreigners and Borders Service (SEF) detained a foreign citizen, at Porto airport, for using a falsified Greek identity card, intending to travel to Dublin.

The man, about 35 years old, was later identified by SEF as being based in a country in Eastern Europe. He was arrested as well as for being in Portugal illegally.

 

Lisbon Airport – Person arrested for drug trafficking

Monday, July 27th, 2015

A 37 year old Brazilian was recently arrested for drug trafficking when he was found to be in possession of a suitcase containing 1.94 kgs of cocaine. The drugs were sufficient for 9700 individual doses.

He has appeared in court and has been placed in custody pending trial.

Police find stolen USB stick holding personal data of 13,000 Barclays Bank customers

Saturday, July 25th, 2015

The Daily Mail report states that the personal details of 13,000 Barclays customers were in the hands of fraudsters for up to seven years, it emerged last night.

The treasure trove of information – including names, dates of birth and addresses – was on a memory stick found by chance in a police raid.

The data extended even to jobs, salaries, debts, insurance policies, mortgages and passport and national insurance numbers. It is feared that thieves may have made multiple copies of the sensitive files.

Furious customers rang the Mail to denounce Barclays for offering just £250 in compensation for the appalling breach.

‘It’s a total insult,’ said Anthony Gibson of Scarborough. ‘I have not had a proper explanation of who was responsible for this data theft and why, as presumably neither have thousands of their loyal clients.’

The memory stick was found in February when police arrested a man in Brighton on suspicion of ticket fraud. The information, which dates from 2008, came from a defunct Barclays unit that sold investments and pensions.

Other details included the results of psychometric tests about customers’ attitude to risk – which could be exploited by fraudsters cold calling people in investment scams.

Over the past few weeks Barclays has written to all affected customers with the offer of compensation.

Mark Garnier, a Tory member of the Commons Treasury committee, said: ‘Barclays must accept any losses incurred by customers as a result of this pretty colossal breach of trust.

‘This is appalling and will cause even more reputational damage for the lender.’

John Mann, a Labour member of the same committee, said: ‘This breach is extraordinary and has endangered thousands of customers. The level of compensation is clearly inadequate. We have no idea who this data has been sold on to.

‘Banks thrive because they are meant to be reliable. This undermines the whole concept of the bank.’

Last year another memory stick was discovered containing encrypted files with information on 2,000 Barclays customers.

The bank is thought to be investigating whether the data in both breaches was stolen by an employee.

Barclays says there is no evidence the files have been exploited by fraudsters.

It added that customers will be able to check their credit records for free for 12 months to ensure there has been no unusual activity. In the letter apologising for the debacle, Matt Hammerstein, Barclays director of customer experience, says: ‘We regret to inform you that a copy of some historic information you provided to Barclays Financial Planning has been recovered by police during a criminal investigation unrelated to Barclays. We are very sorry this has occurred.’ A spokesman for the Information Commissioner’s Office, which investigates breaches of the Data Protection Act, said: ‘We are aware of the incident and we will be making enquiries.’

‘It is simply a separate USB data stick that was not received at that point in time and was recently discovered by the police. We have proactively contacted the affected customers to apologise, as well as to offer them enhanced fraud protection and monitoring. We have also proactively reviewed all data that we hold to see if we can see any sign of suspicious activity and will continue to do that. We continue to co-operate with the relevant authorities on pursuing those responsible for this criminal act.’

GNR – Enforcement Action against Mistreatment of Pets

Friday, July 24th, 2015

Under the supervision of mistreatment of pets, Law No. 69/2014, in force since October 2014, the National Republican Guard (GNR) through the Nature Protection Service and the Environment ( SEPNA), recorded from October 2014 until the end of June this year, 2239 complaints (248 / month and about eight / day) of pet cruelty

Of these 50 were classified under the law as crimes (average of approximately five / month); and there were 2240 cases where a contravention (average 248 / month and about eight / day), took place.

The GNR is available 24 hours / day and throughout the country coverage (mainland and autonomous regions) the “SOS Environment and Territory” line through the blue number 808 200 520 or via link http://goo.gl/1zRBfA, where people can report any cases that might violate the environmental legislation and / or an animal.

More detailed statistics can be found here

One in 10 people take selfies whilst driving a UK poll has revealed

Thursday, July 23rd, 2015
The shocking discovery is just one of the statistics that show the extent to which drivers use their phones and tablets to take selfies, make video calls and watch videos while driving.

The findings come from research commissioned this month exclusively by the Institute of Advance Motorists, which asked 500 drivers how they use their smartphones and tablets in the car.

19% of 25-35 year olds admitted taking selfies whilst driving

Despite this, it seems that many drivers are clearly getting away with these activities as the number of drivers given penalty points for using a smartphone at the wheel fell by more than 40 per cent in 2014.

Nine per cent of drivers admitted to taking a selfie. This increases to 15% of young drivers aged 18-24 and 19% of 25-35 year olds. Women are less selfie obsessed than men, with just 5% of women citing they have taken a selfie while driving compared to 12% of men.

Eight per cent of drivers admitted to driving while using a video-calling application such as FaceTime and Skype to make and receive video calls, rising to 16% among 18 to 24 year olds.

Read more

The results also showed that 18% of drivers have accessed the internet using their smartphone or tablet, rising to 27% of drivers aged 18-24 and 34% of drivers aged 25-34 while driving ‘in the last month’

16% of 18-24 year olds making or receiving video calls whilst driving

An IAM study in 2012 showed that using a smartphone while driving is more dangerous than driving at the legal alcohol limit or when using cannabis. Drivers have much slower reaction times, difficulty staying in the same lane and are less able to adapt to even slowly changing circumstances.

IAM’s chief executive officer, Sarah Sillars said: “Everyone knows how dangerous using a smartphone or tablet is while driving. That’s why it’s shocking to see new trends like taking selfies and making video calls becoming common practice.

34% of 25-34 year olds accessed the internet via smartphone or tablet whilst driving

“Safe driving is everyone’s responsibility and more must be done to catch drivers using these devices dangerously by increasing the fines and points for smartphone and tablet use at the wheel – there is simply no excuse.

“Campaigns must also be introduced that raise awareness of the prevalence of the issue in society and make this behaviour socially unacceptable as drink-driving.

PSP – Arrests increase in the first half of 2015

Wednesday, July 22nd, 2015

During the last 3 years up to in the 1st half of 2015 the Public Security Police (PSP) have arrested 75,243 people suspected of having committed any type of crime (to the 1st half of 2015).

Nationally it appears that there has been a sharp decrease in the number of arrests in 2014 compared to 2013, considering that 2 years ago the PSP recorded 32,183 arrests and last year that number decreased to 27,774 arrests. In 2015 in the first 6 months of operating activity this year by PSP, there has been an upward climb in arrests at 15,286 arrests.

The five districts that contribute most to the more than 75,000 detainees are:

  • Lisbon: 33,637 detainees;
  • Port: 15 136 detainees;
  • Setúbal: 7,070 detainees;
  • Ponta Delgada (Azores): 4,290 detainees
  • Faro: 2,118 detained.

The five districts that have recorded the least number of PSP arrest are:

  • Beja: 167 detainees;
  • Portalegre: 248 detainees;
  • Guard: 343 detainees;
  • Viana do Castelo: 396 detainees;
  • Castelo Branco: 449 detainees;

The 10 types of crime with the highest number of arrests are

  • Driving under the influence of alcohol (more than 1.2 G / G): 25,879 held;
  • Lack of qualification to drive: 11 369 detainees;
  • Drug trafficking: 6,444 detainees;
  • Disobedience: 3,031 detainees;
  • Theft in commercial or industrial building (without break-in): 2,489 detainees;
  • Resistance and coercion of an employee: 2,359 detainees;
  • Detention or trafficking of prohibited weapons: 1,990 detainees;
  • Other crimes related to drugs: 1,607 detainees;
  • Street theft: 1,398 detainees;
  • Crimes related to illegal immigration: 978 detainees;

5 age groups weighing most in the arrests:

  • From 21 to 30 years: 33%
  • From 31 to 40 years: 25%
  • From 41 to 50 years: 17%
  • From 17 to 20 years: 12%
  • From 51 to 60 years: 8%

This group is interesting to note that there are at least 40 suspects who were arrested more than 10 times in those three years there two of them that were over 20 times in the same period.

 

Note: This is only in the main city areas covered by the PSP police and does not include arrests made by the GNR, Judicial Police and  SEF.

Safe Communities Portugal forms partnership with community security project Azeitão+Seguro.

Wednesday, July 22nd, 2015

Safe Communities Portugal is constantly striving to form partnerships with organizations that are promoting crime prevention and other ways of helping to keeping their communities safe.

Consequently we have now established a partnership with the community security project Azeitão+Seguro.

Despite some natural differences, both entities share the same values and principles:

  • The rule of law;
  • The engagement of local communities in their security;
  • Cooperation with public authorities;
  • Complementarity with the actions of public bodies.

Azeitão+Seguro is a community security project based in Azeitão region, in Setúbal municipality, just south of Lisbon. Through the engagement of the local community and cooperation with the relevant social stakeholders, its goal is to improve and promote Azeitão’s security in order to keep this region a secure place to live, work and visit.

The partnership with Azeitão+Seguro consists, essentially, in the sharing of relevant information related to criminal activity and modi operandi, experiences of each project, best security practices and advice and the most important police activity. In the future, this partnership may evolve to other areas of common interest.

For more details about Azeitão+Seguro, visit the website www.azeitaomaisseguro.wordpress.com or its Facebook page