Archive for July, 2018

Carnaxide – Detained for attempted qualified homicide

Sunday, July 22nd, 2018

On 22nd July the Metropolitan Command of Lisbon of the PSP, through the Police Division of Oeiras, in the town of Carnaxide, municipality of Oeiras, arrested a 42-year-old man for the crime of a qualified homicide in the way tried.

The suspect had met during the afternoon and evening with the victim. At one point he left the scene and returned about five minutes later, carrying a stone, which he threw violently against the victim’s head, and the fled to his home.

The suspect then returned with a knife in his hand, ran towards the victim and stabbed him in the abdomen at the same time. time that shouted “I’ll kill you …”.

He was then apprehended by several witnesses, thus preventing further attack.

PSP attended the scene and arrested the assailant.

The victim was transported to the Hospital Lisboa-Oeste Hospital – São Francisco Xavier Hospital, in Lisbon, where she underwent emergency surgery, and is presently with a reserved prognosis.

The detainee was taken to Police Division of Oeiras and has appeared at the 1st Judicial Interrogation, with the District of Lisbon West, and has been remanded ib custody.

 

 

Maritime Police Advise of Thefts on Beaches

Monday, July 16th, 2018

The Maritime Police advises all bathers to “watch for thefts”, always protecting their property with some basic measures, which can avoid problems at beaches.

Here are the advice of the Maritime Police:

> Avoid carrying valuables to the beach, taking only the essentials for bathing;

> When going to the sea, always leave someone to look after the goods, be it a family member or friend. In case you do not have anyone who does, always leave the goods in line of sight;

> Always try use permanently guarded beaches, not an isolated area away from other bathers, because the presence of other people may inhibit attempted thefts;

> When parking your car, avoid leaving belongings in sight

> In case of presumed theft, it is important that you remain calm, confirm that it was actually stolen and that the goods have disappeared.

> If confirmed a theft, contact the Maritime Police with jurisdiction on the beach where you are, through the contacts available in the Portal of the National Maritime Authority, which you can see clicking here .

The number of detainees from the Hells Angels group is 59

Saturday, July 14th, 2018

The Judiciary Police detained three more members of the Hells Angels motorcycle group, increasing to 59 the number of detainees, who begin this Thursday to be heard in the Court of Criminal Investigation of Lisbon.

Official source of the PJ told Lusa that 58 elements were detained in Portugal and one in Germany , through a European arrest warrant.

On Wednesday, at a press conference, the coordinator of the National Unit to Combat Terrorism Manuela Santos said that the police action had been scheduled for some time and that the detainees were indicted for attempted murder, robbery, physical offences and criminal association.

The police coordinator believes that many elements will be held in pre-trial detention, given the seriousness of the crimes for which they are indicted.

Four of the 59 Hells Angels were detained in possession of a firearm.

The Hells Angels group has been in Portugal since 2002 and has since been monitored by the police.

Violent acts that took place in March in Prior Velho, Loures, involved two rival groups of motorcycles, Hells Angels and Red and Gold, and which caused six injuries, of which three were the first violent manifestation of the organization that led PJ to act.

The police operation to dismantle the group also took into account the holding, from 19 to 22 July, of the Motards meeting in Faro, where there could again clashes between the two groups.

The detainees begin to be heard this afternoon by an investigating judge for the enforcement of the coercion measure.

 

Pedrógão Grande: Number of defendants increases to 18

Saturday, July 14th, 2018

The number of defendants in the investigation that investigates the June 2017 fires in Pedrógão Grande, north of the district of Leiria, which caused 66 deaths, has increased to 18, the Leiria District Attorney’s Office announced Friday.

According to the same information, “in this investigation, conducted by the Public Prosecutor of the Department of Investigation and Criminal Action of Leiria , are facts that can be included in negligent homicide and negligence crimes.”

The Leiria District Attorney’s Office added that “the investigation is in an advanced stage, and numerous enquiries have already been carried out, especially of an expert nature, and more than two hundred witnesses have been heard.”

In this investigation, the Public Prosecution Service is assisted by the Judiciary Police.

Among the 18 defendants in this investigation are councilors and ex-mayoral officials, municipal officials, members of Civil Protection and workers from private companies.

Pedrógão Grande Volunteer Fire Chief António Arnaut and Mário Cerol, 2nd district operational commander, were among the first people to be accused in December 2017.

Also in the scope of Civil Protection, Sérgio Gomes, who when the fires occurred was a district operational commander and is now deputy of National Operations at the National Civil Protection Authority, is also accused.

Others accused are the mayor of Figueiró dos Vinhos, Jorge Abreu, the former mayor of Castanheira de Pera, Fernando Lopes and the former councillor of the Municipality of Pedrógão Grande, José Graça.

In the private sector regarding companies, Ascendi Pinhal Interior confirmed in May that it was “aware that two of its employees assigned to this sub-concessionary were questioned and constituted defendants in the scope of the investigation” to the fires of Pedrógão Grande.

On the same day, EDP Distribuição declined to specify the number of its employees alleged to have been accused, merely saying that the company “has been collaborating with the Public Prosecutor’s Office in the ongoing investigation process, awaiting the conclusions the same”.

Source Diarios de Noticais

Judicial Police dismantle criminal network installing credit card reading devices in ATMs

Friday, July 13th, 2018

The Judicial Police, through the Northern Board of Directors, after an investigation initiated in May, succeeded today 13th July 2018 in identifying and holding whilst caught in the act, six men of foreign nationality, for the alleged perpetration of crimes of criminal association, counterfeiting of similar securities currency, computer fraud and computer fraud in several cities in the Oporto metropolitan area.

The suspects, at least since last May, had been manufacturing and installing inside ATM machines devices for the purpose of reading the magnetic strip of the credit / debit cards used there, as well as recording of the codes of said cards.

The devices used were of great quality and were not perceptible to those who used the ATMs.

After that, these magnetic data were cloned into “white” cards that were later used by the suspects for their own benefit, acquiring goods and services. The total value of the fraud is not yet quantified, but can be estimated to have reached several tens of thousands of euros, damaging both cardholders and banks.

The work carried out by the Judicial Police resulted in the seizure of diverse material that could be used in the manufacture of all the necessary parts for such devices.

More than a hundred “white” cards were also seized, some without cloning and others already properly cloned, as well as diverse computer equipment needed for reading and cloning and tens of thousands of euros.

The detainees, aged between 25 and 43 years, will be present to the judicial authority for first interrogation and application of appropriate pre-trial conditions

Judicial Police arrest five persons and seize 15 kgs of Hashish

Friday, July 13th, 2018

The Judiciary Police, through the Criminal Investigation Department of Ponta Delgada, in conjunction with the National Unit to Combat Trafficking in Narcotic Drugs, as part of an ongoing investigation, identified and detained four men and one woman, heavily indicted for committing crime trafficking in narcotics.

Three of the arrests occurred in the municipality of Ponta Delgada and two in the Greater Lisbon area, which were carried out during a police operation in which several searches were carried out and developed in these two regions, allowing the detection and seizure of more than fifteen kilograms of pollen of hashish, sufficient for about thirty thousand individual doses, as well as a motorcycle, money, a large number of communications and computer equipment, as well as other relevant probative elements.

The investigation relied on the close collaboration of the GNR, through its dog team.

The detainees, aged between 23 and 37 years old, one of whom had recently been sentenced to a prison sentence of more than eight years, on the basis of similar facts, were present at the first judicial interrogation, four of which were subject to  preventive custody.

56 persons linked to Hells Angeles motorcycle group arrested for serious crimes ahead of Faro’s motorcycle gathering

Thursday, July 12th, 2018

The Judicial Police have arrested 56 individuals linked to the Hells Angels motorcycle group for, aggression, arms trafficking, drug and criminal association.

A new attack by the Hells Angels was imminent, believes the Judiciary Police (PJ), which arrested a total of 56 individuals linked to the motorcycle group on Wednesday, in a north-south operation.

The proximity of Faro’s motorcycle gathering, within a few days, precipitated the police action, for serious fear of increasing escalation of violence against rival group Red & Gold, linked to the Americans Los Bandidos.

The Judicial Police, through the National Counter-Terrorism Unit (UNCT), in close coordination with all of its structures based in the national territory and under investigation by the DCIAP, following a complex investigation, have conducted a vast operation aimed at the complete dismantling of a violent criminal association.

This action is part of a series of investigations into the illegal activities carried out on the national territory by the Hells Angels Motorcycle Club ( HAMC ).

Around 80 search warrants were executed today (Wed 11th July) targeted at the suspects in this criminal structure, consisting of extremely dangerous individuals with extensive criminal records and extensive experience in the area of ​​violent and organized crime.

The detainees will be present from tomorrow to the first judicial interrogation for the application of the measure of coercion deemed to be convenient.

Today, the Judiciary Police will provide additional clarification on the development of this operation.                            

Mandatory Registration of Drones

Wednesday, July 11th, 2018

The Council of Ministers has approved the decree-law establishing a mandatory registration and compulsory civil liability insurance system applicable to civilian remotely piloted aircraft systems, better known as drones.

The Minister of Planning and Infrastructures, Pedro Marques, stated that although Portugal already had legislation with “flight ceilings and airport operation”, “it was found that we did not have enough instruments, not only to detect, but above all to penalize misuse ‘.

The registration system ‘means that at the time of acquisition of each drone the essential data of the drone and aircraft operator are recorded and communicated to the National Civil Aviation Authority through a computer platform, which will send the aircraft operator a system which has to be placed in the drone by the user.

The Minister said that with this system, “if any of these drones are detected operating in a prohibited zone, it will be possible to identify and hold the operator responsible”.

The identification system will be mandatory for drones with more than 250 grams, and civil liability insurance for drones with more than 900 grams, following Portugal’s legislation and international experience.

The owners of drones who have bought them before the entry into force of the legislation, will also have to register them in the computer platform of ANAC.

The legislation now approved also establishes the sanctioning regime to be applied in case of non-compliance with the established rules, a task that is the responsibility of ANAC, which is responsible for ensuring the safety of activities related to the civil use of these aircraft.

Re-building of the first affected dwellings in the fires of June 2017 are all in progress or completed

The Minister of Planning and Infrastructures, Pedro Marques, stated that all the houses of first habitation affected by the fires of June of 2017 have already been rebuilt or are under construction.

In Lisbon, in the Assembly of the Republic, Pedro Marques said that of the first 1480 dwellings affected, “1126 houses have been completed and remainder under construction, which corresponds to 100% of the dwellings of June and more than two thirds of the dwellings affected by the October fires.”

The Minister said that in relation to the other dwellings a ‘reasonable number’ is included in the works which the Commission for Regional Coordination and Development of the Centre is expected to launch shortly.