Following the contact with the Portuguese Institute of the Sea and Atmosphere (IPMA) held today, December 30, the National Civil Protection Authority (ANPC), issues a warning that it is expected, from 12:00 noon on December 31st and 06.00 hrs on 2nd January there will be worsening of the situation related to high seas with waves reaching 4 to 5 meters along the entire coast. A total pf 15 districts are at yellow warning, six for high seas, five for high winds and four for both.
Follow the meteorological forecasts made by IPMA (www.ipma.pt) and the advice and recommendations made by the National Maritime Authority (www.amn.pt).
- EXPECTABLE EFFECTS
Depending on the expected weather conditions, the following is possible:
- Slippery road surface with possible accumulation of water;
- Possibility of flooding of more vulnerable areas;
- Floods of underground urban buildings due to poor drainage conditions;
- Damage to mounted or suspended structures;
- Difficulties of disposal in urban drainage systems, with special emphasis on periods of high water;
- Potential for coastal accidents;
- Potential occurrence of accidents (land slips) caused by instability or erosion of slopes.
- PREVENTIVE MEASURES
The ANPC recommends people to be cautious and adapt behaviour to the situation, namely:
- Avoid crossing flooded areas, in order to prevent people or vehicles from being drawn into holes hidden in the pavement or open sewage boxes;
- Fix loose elements, such as beach support structures, signs or advertising placards, as well as other structures suspended or installed outdoors;
- Take special care on foot , riding or by vehicle along the coastline and in river areas that are more susceptible to coastal encroachment, avoiding, if possible, crossing, parking or staying in these places;
- Refrain from engaging in sea-related activities, such as sport fishing, water sports and recreational walks by the sea;
- Avoid traditional New Year’s baths in the sea and other actions of a similar nature.
In this festive season be sure to pay particular attention to meteorological information and comply with the indications, advice and recommendations of the public authorities, namely Civil Protection, the National Maritime Authority and the Security Forces.
Start the New Year Safely
Translation Provided by Safe Communities Portugal www.safecommunitiesportugal.com