The ANPC Press Release on the operational situation of this weekend (at this time), highlights the summary of the means involved in the rural fire of Monchique and a special appeal to the citizens to redouble the care to be taken in the use and enjoyment of forest areas.
In view of the adverse weather conditions, in hot and dry weather, which favour the outbreak and spread of rural fires, it was decided to maintain:
- The Special Alert Status (SEA), at RED level, until August 6 at 11:59 PM, for the Districts of Beja, Bragança, Castelo Branco, Coimbra, Évora, Faro, Guarda, Leiria, Lisbon, Portalegre, Santarém, Setúbal and Viseu;
- The Special Alert State (EAE), at the ORANGE level, until August 6 at 11:59 PM, for the Districts of Aveiro, Braga, Porto, Viana do Castelo and Vila Real;
These measures imply:
- Increasing monitoring actions and strengthening the readiness of the various entities involved in civil protection operations;
- The organization of actions of patrolling, reconnaissance and surveillance in places historically more vulnerable to rural fires;
- The pre-positioning of combat means as a condition for a more efficient and effective reaction to rural fires;
- The maintenance of measures of active prevention and operational planning by the Civil Protection Agents and other Cooperating Entities and Municipal Civil Protection Services.
The operational situation of the last two days is as follows:
August 4, Saturday
- Number of occurrences of rural fires (between 00:00 and 24:00): 110
- Number of operatives: 3479
- Number of vehicles: 971
- Number of aircraft : 51
August 5, Sunday
- Number of occurrences of rural fires (between 00:00 and 24:00): 98
- Number of operations: 2230
- Number of vehicles: 556
- Number of aircraft: 49
We highlight the data referring to the rural fire of Monchique, Algarve, whose outbreak happened on August 3, Friday, and that, at this time, are the following:
- Number of operatiives: 810
- Number of vehicles: 226
- Number of track machines: 8
- Number of air tickets: 9
- Number of entities involved: 94
The ANPC renews the warning to the population to take care of their safety, remembering that the speed and violence of propagation of fires that occur with this type of meteorological conditions makes this type of occurrence a threat to the people and their assets, in the extreme way in which they can be developed.
For this reason, we call on citizens to keep themselves constantly informed about developments in the areas where they live or visit, to observe the advice and recommendations of the authorities in particular in the extreme situations of rural fires, to adapt the behaviour to the risk of fire rural areas, to comply with self-protection measures and only to evacuate the place where they are in conditions of absolute security.
The ANPC informs that by 21:30 on 5th August the CODIS of Faro, Vítor Vaz Pinto will make the operational situation on the fire of Monchique from the Basic School 2,3 of Monchique.
To your consideration.
Communication and Awareness Division