Over the past week there has been an upsurge in reports of travel companies identities being compromised and used for crime.
Businesses in the travel industry, particularly, the renting of properties should undertake a web-search regularly to pick up any bogus copycat operations, using your name. Ways to reduce the risk to YOUR BUSINESS
- Set up Google Alerts https://www.google.co.uk/alerts to monitor the brand terms and membership/ATOL numbers,
- If possible convert Contact Details, Terms and Conditions, Cookies, and Privacy Information to images so that it is harder for criminals to copy them and change the name, telephone number or email address when cloning a website,
- Establish a routine of checking all web searches for brands that they own to pick up copycats,
- Obtain an SSL certificate so that they have the padlock and https in the URL as criminals tend not to bother with that when copying sites, and
- Register for the free DNS and DMARC from GCA to make it harder for the criminals to spoof legitimate sites.