N.º AP/42/DCS/2018 DATA 2018-10-01 HORA 14H30
NOTICE TO THE POPULATION
NATIONAL AUTHORITY OF CIVIL PROTECTION
Increased Rural Fire Hazard
Following the meteorological information provided by the Portuguese Institute of the Sea and the Atmosphere (IPMA), for the next 48 hours, the weather conditions are forecast of the continuation of dry and hot weather, with intensification of the east quadrant of wind, relatively low relative humidity throughout the territory and with a significant increase in the risk of fire.
- EXPECTED EFFECTS
In addition to increasing weather severity, there is also considerable presence of forest fuel, resulting in conditions favourable to the occurrence and rapid spread of rural fires. As such it is necessary to ensure the preventive measures described below.
- PREVENTIVE MEASURES
The ANPC reminds people that, according to the legal provisions in force and due to the prolongation of the critical period up to 15 October, it is not allowed:
- Carrying out burnings and lighting bonfires for recreation, leisure or cooking;
- Using burning and combustion equipment intended for lighting or cooking;
- Burning cut scrub and other waste piles, as well as any other kind of farm surplus;
- Releasing balloons with a lit fuse or any other type of rockets/fireworks;
- Smoking, lighting fires or using naked flames of any kind in the forest spaces and paths/roads that surround them;
- Fumigating and pest control in apiaries with devices that are not fitted with spark-retention devices.
The ANPC also reminds people of some special precautions to take, in view of the predicted meteorological conditions, in carrying out agricultural and forestry work, namely:
- Keep machines and equipment clean of oils and dust;
- Fill machines in cold and in a place with little vegetation;
- Be careful to avoid sparks during handling of equipment, avoiding using them during hot periods.
Against this background, ANPC has elevated the Special Alert Status (EAE) of the Integrated Protection and Relief Operations System (SIOPS) to the ORANGE- level Special Fire-fighting Device (SIR) for the districts of Beja, Évora, Faro, Lisbon and Setúbal; and the RED LEVEL SIOPS Special Alert State (EAE), for the districts of Aveiro, Bragança, Castelo Branco, Coimbra, Guarda, Leiria, Porto, Portalegre, Santarém, Viana do Castelo, Vila Real and Viseu (from 011800OUT18 to 032359OUT18).
The ANPC also recommends the need for everyone to adapt their behaviour and activities in view of the danger of rural fires, in particular by adopting the necessary precautionary measures, taking into account the existing prohibitions and paying particular attention to the evolution of the fire hazard to the next few days, available at the websites of the ANPC and the IPMA, with the Forestry Technical Offices of the City Councils and Fire Departments.
Communication and Awareness Division
Jorge Dias | 965 160 096
Alcina Coutinho | 919 201 307