The Consulate General of Portugal in Macao and Hong Kong has asked Portuguese students in Hong Kong to send their personal data for support at a time of violent clashes in universities of the territory. Details can be found here.

The diplomatic representation “requests all Portuguese-speaking students in Hong Kong to send us via email to the following information: name; Citizen’s card or passport; telephone contact; email; university where they are studying”, reads a statement issued on Facebook by the Portuguese consulate.

“This information is essential for the consulate to be able to provide any support if the need arises,” he said.

In an emergency, the Consulate added, students can “seek support by calling +853 28356632 or or the Consular Emergency Office (24-hour call) at +351 217929714 / +351 961706472 or from the address“.

Hong Kong’s universities have since Monday, 11 November, become the scene of violent clashes for the first time.

At least 11 higher education institutions have announced that classes are suspended, according to broadcaster RTHK.

More than 80 mainland Chinese students from CUHK have been pulled off campus due to clashes. These Chinese students were transported to the neighbouring city of Shenzhen, the SCMP reported. Several hundred rioters still remain on the CUHK campus.

At a press conference, Hong Kong police accused CUHK of becoming a “weapons factory”. The forces said 400 Molotov cocktail bombs were dropped against authorities on Tuesday, 12 November, and “several hundred” were dropped on the university’s campus. On the police side, 1,567 shots of tear gas were fired on Tuesday and 1,312 rubber bullets.

The protests, now in their sixth month, have led to the arrest of 4,491 people, the youngest aged 11. Masked radicals have besieged roads, set fires on streets, vandalised MTR stations, businesses and banks, and occupied universities. Mobs have attacked police officers at the front line, hurling petrol bombs and bricks, and shooting at them with bows and arrows.

Police have responded by firing more than 10,000 rounds of tear gas and 18 live rounds. About 1,700 people have been injured, including 450 officers.