Categories
Uncategorized

On 9th October the GNR Territorial Command Lisbon, through the Criminal Investigation Unit of Mafra, arrested, in the town of Mafra, four persons for illegal stay in the country.

The arrests took place in the context of an investigation into pimping since 2015.

The searches took place in a setting of a nightlife area involving three residences in the town of Malvern. As a result of the searches the following was seized:

  • 8309 euros in cash;
  • Five mobile phones;
  • Several materials and related documentation connected with pimping.
  • Various documentation for PayPal receipts.

The operation involved 37 military from criminal investigation units, territorial, and intervention units and the canine unit. The Magistrate of the Public Prosecutor at the Lisbon District West, area accompanied police during the operation.

The detainees will be brought to the Court of Sintra during the day

Categories
Uncategorized

On 11th October the Foreigners and Borders Service (SEF), following an investigation into a network of citizens from Eastern Europe, suspected of carrying out burglaries in homes, arrested six persons through executing judicial arrest warrants and conducted searches in Viseu, Ovar, Vila Nova de Gaia, Santa Marta de Penaguião and Régua.

Under the operation “Lockpick” an additional three persons were made defendants and a large amount of money, various valuables, including jewellery, false documents and various tools designed to break in to houses seized..

The criminal organization of international nature which was dismantled, is part of the so-called “Mafia of Thieves in Law”, comprising Caucasus crime professionals working throughout Europe.

Acting in concert, the criminal group entered Portugal and remained here, operating from north to south, specializing in the opening of all types of locks used inside homes, taking their money and high value objects.

In operation “lockpick” 40 operational SEF staff were deployed, with the collaboration of PSP in their geographical areas through the execution of warrants.

The detainees will be brought to the Judge of the Criminal Court of Lisbon Central, in view of the judicial examination and application of enforcement measures.

Categories
Uncategorized

Police in the western Indian city of Thane have arrested more than 750 people suspected of defrauding US citizens from a fake call centre.

Officers say the suspects obtained lists of US tax defaulters and used threats to obtain their bank details.

The scam is said to have netted more than $150,000 (£118,000) a day, making it one of the biggest frauds in India’s history.

Thane police officials said they were contacting the FBI to ask for help.

Some 70 of those detained were formally arrested, police said, with the rest released pending further inquiries. Nine people believed to have led the scam have been identified.

The scammers pretended to be members of the US Internal Revenue Service, and told victims they owed back taxes.

In some cases, the victims were duped into buying gift vouchers from different companies and bullied into revealing voucher ID numbers, police said.

The scammers then made purchases with the voucher numbers.

Police say those involved in the scam at the Indian end retained 70% of the earnings, with 30% going to their US collaborators.

Paramvir Singh, the police commissioner of Thane, told reporters that 851 hard disks, high-end servers, and other electronic equipment had been seized.

Mr Singh said overnight raids on Wednesday had lasted well into the morning, and involved more than 200 policemen who had raided buildings in three locations in the city.

Thane police superintendent Mahesh Patil told BBC Hindi that the investigation could open up cases from other countries as well.

Categories
Uncategorized

The GNR Military Territorial Command of Madeira through its Coastal Control, tax and customs, units seized on 4th October, during a surveillance operation, 1.3 kilograms of cocaine, equivalent to 6500 doses.

The 1.3 kilos of cocaine was found beside the sea coast, and was seized by the GNR accordingly.

This apprehension follows the seizure carried out in the same way last weekend, on 1 and 2 October, when 51 kilos of cocaine, equivalent to 255,000 doses, was apprehended.

Categories
Uncategorized

To mark the “International Day for Disaster Reduction”, the Portimão Civil Protection Service and Safe Communities Portugal are jointly holding a seminar on Thursday, 13th October, entitled “From Fires to Flooding – Disaster reduction in the Algarve”.

The event will take place at the Portimão Arena from 1500 to 1900 hrs, and will be officiated by  Exmº Presidente da Câmara Municipal de Portimão, Dra. Isilda Maria Prazeres Varges Gomes.

The overall aim of the seminar is to, enhance understanding of the work of civil protection and the emergency services in dealing with major disasters, including forest fires, floods, earthquakes and tsunamis.

The event will cover:  How major incident plans are commanded and coordinated; General principles and priorities that are adopted in dealing with such incidents; Overview of the major entities involved such as civil protection, Comando Distrital de Operações de Socorro de Faro, the Bombeiros, the GNR etc; Availability of resources, logistical support including donations;   Public role in disaster reduction and use of social media; monitoring weather, fire risk etc.; The new tsunami alert system in the Algarve – overview of the tsunami simulator and experiences  in dealing with the Monchique fires.

The presenters will be the Commanders of the civil protection, Bombeiros, GNR and other experts who have vast experience in dealing with fires, floods and other major occurrences in Portugal. This is a unique opportunity to learn from them how they work to protect our safety in the event of a major disaster, how we can be better prepared and what actions we should take when such incidents happen.

The seminar will be held in Portuguese and English and there will be plenty of time to ask questions. Entry is free.

If you would like to attend please contact Safe Communities Portugal on 913045093 or at info@safecommunitiesportugal.com to reserve your seat as this event is likely to be heavily subscribed.

Thursday 13th October 1500 to 1900 hrs, Portimão Arena, Parque de Feiras e Exposições de Portimão, Caldeira do Moinho, 8500-726 Portimão

(Same venue used for BLIP) – Auditorium. GPS: N 37º 8′ 44.59”, W 8º 32′ 3.26”. Parking immediately outside.

Categories
Uncategorized

The Judicial Police warns, once again, to the danger of sharing videos and photos via the internet

The Judicial Police, through the Department of Criminal Investigation of Aveiro, have identified and arrested a young man, 20 years old, for child pornography.

The victim, now 15 year-old met the suspect through a social network, during 2014, having established a “friendship.”

For several months, at his request, the victim sent him numerous photographs and videos of an intimate nature.

When earlier this year she indicated she intended to end this relationship “online”, the suspect, in retaliation, released these photos and videos on Facebook pages to the victim’s classmates.

During a house search sequence performed at home the suspect, the said media files were seized, plus a laptop computer and a smartphone number in a mobile phone, which he kept stored.

The detainee appeared to the competent judicial Authorities for judicial interrogation, with an application that he be banned from contact with minors, banned for using the internet, and report three times a week to police.

As part of this investigation a 17 year old person was arrested caught in the act in possession of the videos and the victim photos published on the Internet.

He has been notified to appear in DIAP of Viseu, in order to be subjected to judicial interrogation by judicial Authorities and the application of enforcement measures.

The judicial Police alert once more to the dangers of sharing intimate photographs or videos by internet, especially with people who they do not know.

 

Categories
Uncategorized

On 28th September the National Republican Guard (GNR) intensified throughout the national territory, the monitoring of the use of seat belts and restraint systems for children (SRC) and the misuse of the phone whilst driving.

Enforcement actions, carried out by the Territorial Command and the National Traffic Unit, directed at, national, regional and local roads where the offences relating to such matters are more frequent, resulted in the inspection of over 3 thousand drivers, having recorded the following violations:

  • 117 for failure or improper use of safety belts and / or restraint system for children;
  • 85 misuse of mobile phone in the course of driving.

Being missing or incorrect use of safety belts and / or restraint system for children one of the main causes of serious road accidents (with death and serious injury) in Portugal, as well as speeding and driving under the influence of alcohol.

 

The GNR will continue to intensify these measures to reduce the number of road accident victims.

Categories
Uncategorized

The GNR Gouveia Territorial Detachment rescued on 28th September an elderly person aged 84 years, who had earlier gone missing from his home in Folgosinho, Gouveia.

After the warning given by a family member, at 14:30 hours, the GNR were mobilized in order to find the person who had left home some six hours earlier. After a search he was located at 19.00 hrs the same day about one kilometre from the residence.

He had slipped and fallen in the middle of pine needles, having been dragged into the middle of dense bush with his face down which made it impossible to ask for help.

The victim was transported by the Volunteer Bombeiros of Folgosinho to the Gouveia Health Center and later to the Sousa Martins Hospital in Guarda, where he was treated and discharged.

Around 15 military and the dog unit were engaged in  the search and rescue, plus the Bombeiros

Categories
Uncategorized

On 26th September 2016 a national protocol was signed in Lisbon by the National Director of the Polícia de Segurança Pública (PSP), Chief Superintendent Luís Farinha and President of Safe Communities Portugal, David Thomas. The protocol provides a framework in which the two organisations will work together in the area of crime prevention on a national basis.

During the ceremony which was held at the PSP National Headquarters in Lisbon, in front of senior police officers and other guests, the National Director stressed the importance of police public engagement and the work of Safe Communities.

David Thomas praised the PSP in putting the community at the heart of their work, through their special programs, visible policing and other initiatives. This helps build confidence in and trust of police.

The protocol extends the work of Safe Communities throughout the country, through close collaboration with the PSP at all levels. This includes the sharing of information and dissemination of the PSP’s work to all areas of the community. This also provides a regular forum for the sharing of ideas and best practices.

 

Categories
Uncategorized

In the framework of Operation Active Safety, the Public Security Police (PSP) detained 124  people, 74 for driving with excess alcohol, 13 for lack of legal authority for driving, 10 for warrant of arrest, nine for disobedience, six  for drug trafficking, four for illegal gun possession, three for illegally being in the country, two for theft, one for aggression and two for other  situations. The PSP seized four bladed weapons.

A total of 1042 administrative offense notices were issued for offenses under the Highway Code and complementary legislation and 51 administrative offense notices for other offenses.

Held between 07:00 on 23 September and 07:00 on the 24th, this operation focus police reinforcements at areas where there was a high level of travellers, particularly in public transport interfaces and adjacent car parks, in order to ensure safety of citizens in their daily commuting and, simultaneously, to deter theft, robbery, vandalism or other crimes

In a coordinated action, which mobilized hundreds of police officers, all of the country’s commands were also checked and controlled conditions of sale and consumption of alcoholic beverages to minors. A total of five cases were detected of administrative offenses.