Categories
Uncategorized

SUNDAY 18TH AT 20.00 HRS

The National Union of Hazardous Drivers (SNMMP) announced this afternoon that it has decided to call off the strike that began last Monday.

The decision announced by SNMMP president Francisco São Bento and was taken during a plenary of union workers, which took place this afternoon in Aveiras de Cima and lasted about three hours.

The stoppage, which began on Monday, the 12th, was initially called by SNMMP and the Independent Drivers Union (SIMM), but the latter called off the protest on Thursday evening following a meeting with ANTRAM under mediation. Government.

“The conditions are in place for us to negotiate with Antram, it was decided today to call off the strike,” Pedro Pardal Henriques told reporters on Sunday at 1940 hrs after the end of the plenary session of the National Union of Hazardous Drivers (SNMMP), which on the seventh day of the standstill was gathered in Aveiras de Cima.

Categories
Uncategorized

Navy and Air Force rescue tuna crew that sank early Wednesday morning.

“The boat was hit by a wave, the water got in the boat and it sank. It was all of a sudden, we didn’t have time to trigger the alerts. The sea was very strong. In 43 years of experience, nothing like this ever happened to me. ”

This is how Master Gregory recalls the moments that led to the sinking of the ‘Setemar’ and left seven drifting fishermen for four days and three nights off Madeira. They were saved this Saturday afternoon when a tragedy was already in sight, after a Navy and Air Force operation located the ferry that allowed them to survive to tell the story.

The seven fishermen, aged 23 to 61, who had set sail for tuna fishing late Tuesday afternoon, were found early Saturday afternoon by an Air Force aircraft that had been mobilized for the search. . Quickly, two Navy vessels that were in the same operation were directed to the location, 40 kms from the point where they had last made the communication.

The warning was given on Friday by the vessel’s owner, who informed the Funchal port commander that ‘Setemar’ had not communicated for two days. The Navy sent an ocean patrol and a speedboat to the area, but due to the lack of results and the increased search area, an Air Force C295 from Porto Santo was fired.

“We’re fine and that’s what matters,” says master Gregory, who always believed they would be saved.

Categories
Uncategorized

Madrid, 16 Aug 2019 (Lusa) – A joint operation by the Spanish Civil Guard, the Judiciary Police and the GNR dismantled a drug trafficking network aimed at trafficking cocaine into the two countries, detaining a total of 14 people.

According to the Spanish news agency EFE, the drug would be brought in by sea using a vessel trailer that appeared empty, but at the time it was equipped with a sophisticated hydraulic system that could carry more than 300 kilograms.

According to the Civil Guard, the so-called Operation Mansalva resulted in the arrest of 14 people, 11 in Pontevedra, two in Valencia and one in Portugal.

In addition, the operation was able to seize almost half a ton of cocaine (475 kilos).

According to the same source, the investigations have prevented the delivery of more than 300 kilograms of cocaine in Spain, which was being transported from Galicia to Valencia.

The police operation also prevented the entry into Portugal of 175 kilos of cocaine, which was being transported from the province of Pontevedra to the centre of the country.

The Judiciary Police of Porto and the Republican National Guard (GNR) carried out this operation near Coimbra and detained the person carrying the drug.

Police explained that the criminal network had “very advanced contacts and preparations” to introduce a new drug shipment to Galicia by sea from South America, but they could not carry out the operation because all members of that criminal organization were arrested.

Police also seized 12,000 euros in cash, 12 satellite phones, four double-bottomed vehicles and a trailer.

The guard also discovered a marijuana plantation with a thousand plants.

Investigations began, according to the Civil Guard, a year ago, when officers learned of a Pontevedra-based criminal group of people with a history of drug trafficking.

The operation is accompanied by the Quart de Poblet investigative courts and coordinated by the prosecution offices of Valencia and Pontevedra, with the police system having organized crime specialists from Galicia, Alicante, Pontevedra and Cadiz.

Categories
Uncategorized

The freighter carrying the drug from South America was destined for the northern city of Tangier.

The Cape Verdean prosecutor charged 11 Russian citizens arrested in January in a freighter in the port of Praia with almost ten tons of cocaine on board accused of aggravated narcotics trafficking and criminal association crimes.

According to a statement issued today by the Cape Verde Attorney General’s Office (PGR), concerned “operation ESER”, which on January 31 led to the largest drug seizure in the country, detected on a flag cargo ship of the Panama (named “ESER”) which docked at the port of Praia carrying 9.57 tonnes of “high purity” cocaine, incinerated by the authorities days later.

According to the statement, after completing all due diligence, the Public Prosecution Service completed  he investigation on July 29, filing a complaint and requesting judgment in a joint proceeding and with the intervention of the Collective Court.

The 11 people arrested since January and “who, at the time of the facts, were serving on the ship” are charged. They are “strongly indicted” of the commission of a drug trafficking offense aggravated by material co-authoring and royal competition with a crime of membership of the criminal association.

It was also requested that all objects, goods and products seized as part of the operation be declared as “lost to the State”, as soon as the 100-meter-long freighter “ESER” with a total weight of 3,800 tonnes and mobile phones, laptops, satellite telephones and GPS equipment, “because they were used to commit the crime in question”.

 

Categories
Uncategorized

The government approved Tuesday 13th  August the civil requirement of drivers of hazardous materials, which will be applied gradually. Initially in only affects the southern areas (Photo courtesy Antonio Cotria – Lusa)

General civil requisition is not out of the question, it depends on the duration of the strike and the fulfilment of minimum services.

According to data from the National Entity for the Energy Sector, at 8:00 am on Tuesday, the 13th, the 22 stations of the Special Network of Gas Station (REPA) of the Algarve had only 20.6% of the total gasoline stock and 21.6% diesel.

In Beja, the volume was 27.9% (gasoline) and 21.2% (diesel) in the 11 REPA stations. Data for these two districts – Faro and Beja – are very low compared to those in the rest of the country.

CIVIL REQUISITION

Secretary of State for the Presidency of the Council of Ministers, Tiago Antunes, said that the resolution will be complemented by two ordinances: “One will focus on civil requisition only in the areas and services where, to date, non-compliance with minimum services has been identified; the other will establish the terms in which the intervention of the Armed Forces under this civil requisition will take place. In all there will be 120 military personnel, including drivers and helpers.

Tiago Antunes pointed out that the non-fulfilment of minimum services has already been verified, “supplying the southern part of the country from Sines, supplying REPA, supplying airports and supplying autonomous natural gas units”.

Pedro Pardal Henriques, spokesman for the Hazardous Drivers’ Union (SNMMP), in Aveiras de Cima, Lisbon sated that all drivers of hazardous goods vehicles are working, this Tuesday, the second day of strike and the first in which civil requisition has ken effect.

Despite this, Pardal Henriques believes that “gradually, the gas stations will be empty”.

Although “this morning everything is going smoothly,” the GNR military continues to escort the tanker trucks leaving the various locations to fill the stations, a source at Lusa .

The drivers are today completing the second day of an indefinite strike with the aim of demanding from ANTRAM compliance with the agreement signed in May, which provides for a wage increase

EASYJET STATEMENT

Due to the strike EasyJet issued a warning this evening that “some flights to and from Portugal may require additional technical stops to refuel at alternative airports. It also advised passengers traveling to and from Portugal to check the status of their flight as well as to travel to national airports with “extra time” due to the driver’s strike.

 

Categories
Uncategorized

The Minister of Internal Administration yesterday advised motorists where possible to only make “indispensable” (essential) journeys during the strike period.

Safe Communities has produced the following tips (some obvious) to help motorists during this period;

Generally

  • Use public transport where possible
  • Refer to gas station fuel supply maps to check which stations have supplies
  • Car-pooling – if you know someone taking a similar journey
  • Efficient planning of appointments – try and schedule your diary to the lowest travel distance
  • Drive efficiently – use less fuel
  • Ask your employer, if appropriate, if you can work from home
  • Already scheduled appointments try to reschedule to another date.
  • If longer journeys are essential – use route calculator to show most efficient use in the use of fuel

Fuel

  • At fuel stations please follow directions of police who may be manging congestion
  • Advice is not to use Jerry cans which can be unsafe if not transported properly. If you do they must be approved for this purpose.
  • For tourists – Please allow sufficient fuel and time if you need to get fuel before returning your car.
  • Remember cars are restricted to 15 litres
  • Note that some fuel stations only have fuel supply for emergency vehicles – do not try and use these as they cannot serve you.

Parking

  • When parking overnight in particular, please lock your car to deter fuel theft.

For tourists

  • For tourists check with airports to see if there is any disruption. They are essential services and a 100% minimum supply has been designated.

Health

  • If you are taking any medication which may finish during the strike period, ensure you have sufficient to cover the possible period.

 

Categories
Uncategorized

Lisbon, 11 Aug 2019 (Lusa) – The Association of Freight Transporters accuses unions of not meeting the deadline for sending workers to the minimum service levels.

In a statement issued this morning, the National Association of Public Road Hauliers (ANTRAM) indicates that unions should have designated workers to perform minimum services up to 24 hours before the strike begins, which starts at Monday.

“This obligation was breached by the unions once again, contrary to what they said they would do throughout the media during yesterday [Saturday],” writes ANTRAM, in a note sent by André Matias de Almeida, lawyer and Association’s spokesperson.

The Independent Freight Drivers Union (SIMM) and the National Hazardous Goods Drivers Union (SNMMP) decided on Saturday to continue the strike starting indefinitely Monday after a joint plenary session.

For ANTRAM, trade unionists are “doing everything” so that minimum services are NOT met.

“It would be much more efficient for companies to comply if trade unions immediately indicated the workers who were going to do it, as this would contribute to less tension between employers and workers, as companies will now refer workers”, refers to ANTRAM’s note.

Thus, transport companies will assign workers to minimum services, hoping that “it will be possible to contact workers who will be assigned to minimum services”.

The government has enacted minimum services of between 50% and 100%, rationed fuel supplies and declared an energy crisis until 11:59 pm on 21 August, which implies “exceptional measures” to minimize the effects of the shutdown and ensure service provision for essential services such as security forces and medical emergency.

Categories
Uncategorized

Algarve – Alert Situation Statement | Energy Crisis

The District Civil Protection Commission of Faro held an extraordinarily meeting last night August 10, following Order No. 7130-C / 2019, issued by the Minister of Internal Affairs, who declared the Alert Situation in Civil Protection Basic Law .

This meeting, preceded by the extraordinary meeting of the District Operational Coordination Centre (CCOD) and the consultation of the Municipal Civil Protection Services (SMPC) of the Region, aimed to assess the state of play on fuel supply in the Region as well as determining and monitoring measures of the impacts associated with this situation.

Considering the current state of play in the Region, which was found to be normal, with few exceptions, it was unanimously decided not to propose the activation of the District Civil Protection Emergency Plan (PDEPC), as no criteria existed for the effect.

The CDPC also decided, in keeping with current monitoring, to request the Municipal Civil Protection Services (SMPC) to monitor the situation of fuels in the Strategic Network of Gas Stations (REPA).

In order to maintain safety levels and public normalcy, the CDPC advises all citizens not to resort to the use of Jerry cans to cope with this period of Energy Crisis, remembering that improper or irresponsible use of them may cause danger to property and people. It also points out that it is prohibited to store liquid fuels because of the risk of vapour release and ignition, and that there are limits to the amount of fuel to be carried in Jerry cans in a private car. In addition to the safety procedures that the situation requires, the CDPC appeals to common sense, public tranquillity, and sensible preventive precautions.

The CDPC will continue to monitor the situation through the CCOD and will meet again, if necessary, taking appropriate action at any given time.

Categories
Uncategorized

The District Civil Protection Commission of Faro met extraordinarily today, August 10, following Order No. 7130-C / 2019, issued by His Excellency the Minister of Internal Affairs, who declared the Alert Situation in Civil Protection Basic Law (LBPC), Law No. 27/2006, of July 3, as amended (Law No. 80/2015, of August 3), for the period between 23:59 hours of August 09 and 23:59 hours of August 21, 2019, for the whole territory of mainland Portugal.

This meeting, preceded by the extraordinary meeting of the District Operational Coordination Centre (CCOD) and the consultation of the Municipal Civil Protection Services (SMPC) of the Region, aimed to assess the state of play on fuel supply in the Region as well as determination of monitoring measures of the impacts associated with this situation.

Considering the current state of play in the Region, which was found to be normal, with few exceptions, it was unanimously decided not to propose the activation of the District Civil Protection Emergency Plan (PDEPC), as no criteria for the effect.

The CDPC also decided, in keeping with current monitoring, to request the Municipal Civil Protection Services (SMPC) to monitor the situation of fuels in the Strategic Network of Gas Stations (REPA).

In order to maintain safety levels and public normality, the CDPC advises all citizens not to resort to Jerry cans to cope with this period of Energy Crisis, remembering that improper or irresponsible use of this equipment may cause danger to property and humans. It also points out that it is prohibited to store liquid fuels because of the risk of vapour release and ignition, and that there are limits to the amount of fuel to be carried in Jerry cans in a private car. In addition to the safety procedures that the situation requires, the CDPC appeals to common sense, public tranquillity, and preventive behaviours.

The CDPC will continue to monitor the situation through the CCOD and will meet, if necessary, taking appropriate action at any given time.

Safe Communities Portugal attended the CDPC meeting and raised the issue concerning the transportation and storage of fuel

Categories
Uncategorized

Lisbon, 10 Aug 2019 (Lusa) – The Minister of Internal Affairs said today, as part of the drivers’ strike, that the emergency network, with 52 exclusive and 320 non-exclusive filling stations, “will allow the response to the priority functions of the state”.

Eduardo Cabrita was speaking at the end of an emergency meeting of about two hours with the president of the National Emergency and Civil Protection Authority (ANEPC), representatives of ministries and security forces “to settle details” for operations during the indefinite strike of drivers for hazardous materials and goods, which begins on Monday and has been confirmed today in trade unions.

“This meeting resulted from Friday’s statement by the Council of Ministers of a situation of energy crisis, starting today, on a preventive basis and the determination by order MAI and the Ministry of the Environment to start operating from 00:00 Sunday of the emergency network of filling stations, consisting of 52 exclusive and 320 non-exclusive filling stations, and putting all Civil Protection structures on alert”he said.

The official stated that at today’s meeting, at the Civil Protection headquarters in Carnaxide, involving all areas of Government that are represented, security forces and other Civil Protection agents, “an analysis of the close partnership between ANEPC and ENSE, the authority that regulates the state’s energy reserves, has the mechanisms that will ensure that the emergency network will be able to respond to what the state’s priority operating needs are.

“We have determined mechanisms that involve all areas of governance, which will allow to assess from Monday, starting day of the strike, to check daily the need for response, contemplating access to this network of priority ports and a set of other institutions, public and private, due to the urgency of reviewing public supply, ”he added.