The message shown below is a real example of a Nigerian or 419 Scam, received by email in August 2015. The message promises the recipient a share in a large sum of money and invites recipients to contact him by phone or email. This sum of money does not exist. Recipients who initiate a dialogue with the scammer by replying to this message will eventually be asked for advance fees supposedly required to allow the deal to proceed. They may also become the victims of identity theft.

If you receive this or a similar message, DO NOT reply. If you have already replied, DO NOT comply with subsequent requests to send money or provide personal information


I am Mr Benjamin Basha, I served in the Libyan presidency on defence and my status put me in a position of responsibility and authority.

I am interested in doing business with you as I am in possession of some funds, US$ 65, 000, 000 .00 (SIXTY FIVE MILLION UNITED STATES DOLLARS), which I wish to invest as a matter of urgency through you.

If you are conversant with public issues, Libya recently went through terrible strive/civil war. I was mandated as Head of Delegation to purchase arms/ ammunitions by the government of Libya (Gaddafi Government).

I had already finished negotiations and this said sum was already transferred into an escrow account to a Bank in Hong Kong, which I am the only signatory to this escrow account.

I was in the Republic of Malta, (Republic of Malta is just 221 miles from Tripoli, Libya) for the arms/ ammunitions negotiations when I learnt of the death of Colonel Muammar Gaddafi. I immediately stopped all negotiations on the arms purchase as the funds was already in an escrow account as funds meant for Offshore investment with the space of the Fund Manager left blank.

Presently, the existence of this money is unknown to anybody and is backed up by a Certificate of Clean fund issued by the Hong Kong Government absolving the money from drugs or money laundering activities. I find it necessary to invest this money offshore in viable business ventures through your company or your personal guidance and assistance. I have worked on the whole arrangement and only expect your favourable response to put the machinery into motion that will further our mutual personal and business relationship.

I am currently in the Republic of Malta on political asylum grant as such I cannot move these funds out of the Escrow account in Hong Kong as the law prohibits an asylum seeker of such activity or even to operate an account.

You may contact me on the phone number or email address provided below so I can give you details of the whole arrangement I have made which are absolutely smooth and will ensure no delays once we work hand in hand with each other.

I await your esteemed response while counting on your sense of confidentiality, as it is my desire for this to be done as directly as possible. I will offer you 20% of the total money and the remaining 80% will be for my investment in your country. Please, kindly contact me on telephone number +356 3550 0046 or Email:  benjaminbashar189 (at)