RURAL FIRE RISK 12TH JULY 2022
RISK TODAY (map above)
The rural fire risk is at EXTREME/VERY HIGH today throughout the mainland. The risk is being influenced by forecasts of exceptionally low Relative Humidity (RH) levels, very high temperatures and moderate winds. The Algarve, Centre an north east are all at MAXIMUM fire risk. Unusually the northwest and Alentejo are at VERY HIGH risk.
The forecast minimum relative humidity (RH) Centre is very low 5% to 9%; the north at 9% to 15% and Algarve 12% to 30%. The maximum air temperature forecast for these the areas are Centre 39C to 43C; north 38C to 43C and Algarve 31C to 39C. Winds mainly moderate. Take EXTRA CARE adopting ALL precautions to avoid inadvertently starting a fire. The risk is forecast to remain similar over next three days. https://www.ipma.pt/en/riscoincendio/rcm.pt/
RURAL FIRE HAZARD (FWI) (Map above)
Around two thirds of the mainland including the south and centre is at MAXIMUM, the extent of which has not been seen for some years. The north east is very high and the northwest high to moderate. The major fires of 2003, 2017 and 2018 have all been when the FWI was similar.
The rural fire hazard index comprises six indices that quantify the effects of fuel moisture and wind on fire behaviour, including its intensity and spread – these conditions ultimately affect the difficulty in fighting a fire, one a fire gets hold. The wind today has increases particularly in Algarve and highlands.
SITUATION OF CONTINGENCY MEASURES
Within the scope of the Declaration of the Contingency, provided for in the Law of Civil Protection Bases, the following exceptional measures are in place:
1) Prohibition of access, movement and permanence inside the forest spaces previously defined in the Municipal Forest Defence against Fire Plan, as well as on its forest paths, rural accesses and other accesses that cross them; (exceptions for residents and workers)
2) Prohibition of extensive burning and burning cut and piled waste;
3) Prohibition of work in forest areas with use of any kind of machinery, with the exception of those associated with rural fire fighting situations;
4) Prohibition of works in rural areas using blade or metal disks chains, lawn mowers, shredder and machines with blades or front shovels.
5) Total prohibition on the use of fireworks or other pyrotechnic items regardless of their form of combustion, as well as suspension of the permits issued;
Disobedience of these measures is a crime.. Situation of
Contingency here in English with link to Portuguese.
Other ICNF normal restrictions: https://www.ipma.pt/en/riscoincendio/rcm.pt/