SITUATION 12TH AUGUST 08.00 HRS
The fire has now been downgraded to “CONCLUSION” stage. This means that it “has been extinguished but there are still small pockets of combustion within the perimeter of what was the fire area”
Current strategy is pre-positioning of ground forces to tackle any re-ignitions quickly.
All main roads open but small undesignated roads may be closed due to fire damage
Number of personnel deployed is 1005 supported by 336 vehicles.
• Visiting the towns – no problem, roads open. Towns are virtually business as usual. Including transportation services.
• Check your hotel booking in Monchique to see if hotel is open
• DO NOT enter burned areas, especially minor roads as these may not be safe.
• FIRE RISK EXTREME – Temperature is rising, humidity decreasing and moderate wind – NO lighting fires, smoking, or camp fires, or cooking on stoves in rural public areas. ZERO tolerance.
• Very safe to visit Algarve, but always wise to check fire risk and follow that.
The following contact numbers are available to help those in need.
FIRE RISK IN ENGLISH: http://www.ipma.pt/en/ambiente/risco.incendio/index.jsp
Road Traffic: call (+351) 808 201 855
Health issues: call (+351) 808 24 24 24
Social emergency: call (+351) 144
Animal safety and rescue – email@example.com
Donation enquiries https://algarvefire.info/