Our condolences go to the families of at least 14 people who were killed in a terrorist attack in Las Ramblas, Barcelona yesterday. In addition around 130 were injured in the attack, involving a van driving into pedestrians along a crowded street.
The Catalan regional government has now said that citizens from 34 countries were among the people killed and injured. Three of the dead are believed to be German and one Belgium and a 70 year old woman from Portugal. France says 26 of its citizens are injured, at least 11 of them seriously; four Australians were wounded: two women remain in hospital in a serious but stable condition, while two men were treated and released. Three people from the Netherlands are among the wounded, along with a woman and her two children from Greece. A Hong Kong citizen suffered minor injuries, as did one American.
A second terror attack has taken place in Cambrils, a coastal town around 120 kms from Barcelona. Six bystanders and one police officer were injured – two seriously – when they were reportedly deliberately hit by a car – an Audi A3. Police officers then shot dead five suspects, some of whom were wearing what appeared to be explosive belts.
Authorities say the attack is linked to the Barcelona attack earlier on Thursday.
Two suspects whom police believe to be linked to the Barcelona attack are in custody, although neither is the driver, who escaped. A manhunt for him continues. At 07.30 this morning a third suspect was detained in Ripoll, about 96 kms north of Barcelona,
Officials are also linking the two attacks to an earlier explosion that destroyed a house in Alcanar, killing one person and wounding at least one more. Police now say they believe explosives were being prepared at the property.
Isis has claimed responsibility for the attack in Las Ramblas, but this could not be verified.