REINFORCEMENT OF RESOURCES TO COMBAT FIRES TO REMAIN IN PLACE UNTIL 31st OCTOBER
According to the ICNF at 1700 hrs today there are NO plans (AT PRESENT) to defer the critical fire period beyond 15th October.
CRITICAL FIRE PERIOD
WEF from 16TH October therefore the following is PROHIBITED in the municipalities concerned where the fire risk is “Very High” or “Extreme”
- The burning of piled-up waste is not permitted
- The use of stoves, BBQs and grills is prohibited in all rural spaces, except where used outside of the critical areas and in places duly authorised for the purpose.
- Smoking and all types of naked flames are prohibited in woodland and forests.
- Balloons with a lit fuse and rockets are prohibited. Fireworks are only permitted subject to authorisation from the Municipal Council.
- Fumigating and pest control in apiaries are prohibited except where the fumigators are fitted with spark retention devices.
Additionally when the fire risk is “High”, Very High” or extreme” it is prohibited to carryout burning for grassland renewal, cleaning stubble or debris that is uncut or cut on the ground, but NOT in piles, is not permitted
Before lighting a fire check the Fire Risk in your area and contact the local Bombeiros for instructions and guidance.
REINFORCEMENTS TO REMAIN IN PLACE
Given the meteorological forecasts for the second half of October made available by the Portuguese Institute of the Sea and Atmosphere (IPMA) to the National Civil Protection Authority (ANPC), the Ministry of Internal Administration decided to reinforce, by the end of October, Special to Combat Rural Fire.
Thus, until October 31, the ground device will be reinforced with a further 624 firefighters. About 500 GIPS soldiers from GNR will be involved in surveillance and surveillance actions.
For air assets, 10 light helicopters will be available on lease, 3 light helicopters owned by the State, 6 medium amphibious aircraft and 3 heavy helicopters.
It was also decided to increase surveillance and surveillance actions by the GNR and PSP in their areas of competence and reinforce land mobile surveillance, based on the commitment of patrols of the Armed Forces, especially in the most sensitive and vulnerable areas.
In the scope of the National Network of Watchtowers, the primary network posts remain in operation until November 6.
This reinforcement of the device is implemented in accordance with the operational flexibility provided for in Operational Directive 2 – SAY.